Bean pottage recipe
African brown beans is a wholemeal filled with much protein and fiber. It is perfect for vegetarians.
• 500g of African brown beans
• Tomato blend (2 fresh tomatoes,
½ paprika, 50g of habanero peppers)
• 1.5 litre of water
• 1 medium onion diced
• 100ml/4 tablespoons of red palm oil
(or vegetable oil)
• 2 seasoning cubes
• Salt to taste
1. Fill a large pan with water and bring to boil.
2. Add the beans and allow them to cook for 5 minutes.
3. Drain the beans in a sieve and then wash them under running water, until the water runs clear.
4. Pour 1 litre of water into a separate pot and bring to the boil.
5. Add 2 seasoning cubes and cover the pot, leaving to boil.
6. After the water has boiled, a small handful of onions.
7. Add the beans into the mixture and cook for approximately 30 to 45 minutes on a high heat until soft, gradually adding the remaining water.
8. Blend the fresh tomatoes, paprika and habanero peppers to make the tomato blend and chop the onion.
9. In a sauce pan, add the palm oil and pour in the chopped onions.
10. Fry the onions for 3-5 minutes until soft and brown.
11. Add the tomato blend to the onion and oil mixture and allow to cook for 2 minutes.
12. Cook well and set sauce pan aside.
13. When the beans are tender, add a sprinkle of salt and then finally mix in the palm oil stew.
14. Cook for five more minutes on a low heat, stirring well so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.