Fish Pepper Soup is a popular dish to make, to help your loved ones recover from a cold or fever. It’s combination of heat and spices which are considered to be medicinal, and will sooth your aches and shivers away. Traditionally, this dish is made with Catfish, but it can be adapted with other fish that will not break apart easily in the soup. My preference is the Tilapia fish.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 3 tilapia fillets, or your fish of choice
- A squeeze of lemon juice, to wash the fish
- 1⁄2 litre of water (or 2 cups) 1 seasoning cube
- 2 tablespoons of ground crayfish or prawns
- 2 tablespoons of Ataro Pepper Soup Spices
- 1⁄2 a teaspoon of salt (or salt to taste)
- 1 sprig of fresh African basil, or efirin leaves
- Wash your fish thoroughly under cold running water, with salt or lemon juice, and set aside.
- Pour the 1⁄2 litre of water into a new cooking pot, and allow it to heat up for 2/3 minutes.
- Add your seasoning cube, ground crayfish (or prawns,) and pepper soup spices.
- Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and add your fish fillets (your fillets should sit just below the water in the pot – to make sure they stay succulent and absorb the flavours)
- Once the mixture is boiling, and all your ingredients have been added, bring the heat down to a simmer and add salt (to taste).
- Leave your soup to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil, or efrin leaves.
- If you want an extra spicy soup, add Scotch Bonnet Pepper to the mixture.
Head over to the Ataro Foods & Spices online store to purchase the mix! You will surely love it!