Jollof Rice Recipe
For the Tomato Paste
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 1 small tatashe (red bell pepper), cored and deseeded
- 1 small red onion
For the Jollof Rice
- 500g white long-grain rice
- 4 tablespoons sunfower or olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 30g tomato purée
- 500mL (2 cups) chicken stock or water
- 1 tablespoon Ataro Jollof Spice Blend
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 fresh habañero peppers, blended, or to taste
- Your favourite vegetables, for garnish
- Ataro-Spiced Grilled Chicken for serving
- Make the Tomato Paste: Dice the tomatoes, tatashe, and onion. Combine them in the jug of a blender and pulse until the mixture is chunky and well combined. (Or combine them in a pot over medium heat and cook until the moisture is reduced.)
- Make the Jollof Rice: Thoroughly rinse the rice in hot water until the water runs clear. Drain it into a sieve and set aside.
- In a medium pot with a lid over medium heat, warm the oil for 2 minutes. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, until the onion is browned and softened. Add the tomato purée and fry for 5 minutes, until the mixture turns a deep red colour and the acid content is reduced. Add the contents of the blender to the pot and fry for 5 to 10 minutes.
- While stirring constantly, add the chicken stock or water to the pot. Add the Ataro Jollof Spice Blend and the salt; add the habañero peppers to taste. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice to the pot and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the Jollof Rice to a serving dish and garnish with your favourite vegetables. Serve hot with the Ataro-Spiced Grilled Chicken and Dodo.
- Depending on which type of rice you choose, you may need to adjust the amounts of chick- en stock and water you use; check the cooking instructions on the rice packaging.
- If you don’t like spicy food, add the peppers slowly and/or sparingly in Steps 2 and 4. Taste the dish as you add the peppers to make sure you get the avour and level of heat right for your own palate.